Friday, July 20, 2007

Asparagus, Red Pepper, & Potato Salad

Asparagus, Red Pepper, & Potato Salad

The Veggies:

1 pound new red potatoes
1 pound aparagus or green beans
1/2 large red pepper
1/2 cup slivered red onion

Scrub and boil potatoes in salted water until tender. Drain and cool. Snap off ends of asparagus or beans and steam in salted water until tender crisp. Drain and shock in cold water. Quarter potatoes and cut asparagus or beans into 1-2 inch pieces. Cut pepper into sticks the same length. Put all veggies in bowl.

The Dressing:

5 TBS Creole mustard (or spicy brown mustard)
6 TBS balsamic vinegar
1 1/2 TBSbrown sugar
3/4 tsp kosher salt (or 1/2 tsp reg salt)
1/4 tsp black pepper
2-3 cloves garlic, pressed
6 TBS olive oil
Tabasco or Red Hot sauce

Mix all ingredients into a jar, put on lid, shake until creamy. Pour onto veggies. Serve.

Nice thing about this is it can be made ahead if you use the green beans, it is easily doubled, it can sit out all day at a picnic (no dairy products) and the dressing is really good on a tossed green salad.

I had not blogged for a long time, but this was linked to a group of people I care about, so I thought I should start her up again.

Last weekend I attended the True Equality Conference in Washington DC, about The Boy Crisis. What a blast! The lineup of speakers was outstanding, starting off with Glenn Sacks, Warren Farrell, and Christina Hoff Summers (OMG! I was so excited to meet her! I was tongue tied-and that takes alot!). Paul Nathenson and his writing partner Catherine Young were there, authors of "Spreading Misandry". Katherine was very sweet, but when she started talking about men she became very focused-she spoke about how she came to start studying men and the backlash she encountered-it became very obvious how bright she was. Paul was so intense-he came up to me and started grilling me about how I came to care about these issues, and went on to really make me think about media influence and society. He made one of the most quotable statements at the conference-when called out by Warren Farrell about not belonging to the norm (for being gay) he responded "Just because I don't fit the norm doesn't mean there shouldn't be a norm." Yes! Well said!

Dave and the boys came Saturday, and I think the boys really enjoyed it. Nick actually pointed out today a double standard he saw on the TV (at a friends house), which he normally would not do. I think if nothing else, they can see that there are people out there working to make things better for them. Tom wanted to talk to people about issues, but is so shy he was too afraid to do so. Hopefully he will start to get over that. We will be networking more so he should get to practice on smaller groups of people.

I met several people from the Men's Health Network, they are really doing a lot of practical good by getting men to think about the various issues of health including prostate cancer and nutrition. I spoke at length with one man from Nigeria ( I would not even know how to start spelling his name) who was concerned about inner city minority men and women and the lack of options for healthy foods. I was personally interested in that topic, and will be contacting them to see if I can help out in any way.

I got to see the three Thomas'-Walsh, Ellis and Golden! Oh did I miss those three! What awesome men. Tom Golden's talk about men's ways of healing was so informative yet so touching. I about bawled when he spoke about him and his son wrestling, the boy stopping to say how he missed his grandpa, then jumping on his dad's head... Wow. Tom is a gifted speaker and a brillient student of male behavior. Tom Ellis made me (as usual) uncomfortable by pushing my understanding of men and women to new areas when he talked about things I need to teach my older son about dating, and approaching girls. That is why I love the man-he challenges me to be a better wife, mother, person. I do not like to think about these things, I need someone to kick me out of my comfort zone.

I have thought about writing op-ed pieces and had much encouragement from a really nice man from West Virgina, Steve Collins. He gave me some on-line resources and suggested I start by wanting to make some money at it! I would like to start by writing an article to Bristish newspapers about Fathers4Justice.

Speaking of which , what a privilage I had meeting these guys! Matt O'Conner, Ray Barry, and Jolly Stanesby came all the way from the UK to regale us with tales and give us a much needed kick in the ass. Matt was so funny! I am not sure what it is about a Brit swearing, but every time he did (and it was often) I just laughed. He told us all about some of the early protests and everything that could and did go wrong. His description of trying to find a condom which would actually break so they could pelt Tony Blair with purple powder was hilarious-I think they need to make a condom commercial! Next Ray Barry spoke about the church protest and the lotto hiest; he is such a proper Brit that it seemed really strange that he would do these things-which made it all the more impressive. He was in such contrast to Matt that he really made it that much more real, seeing how the only commonality between the two was losing their kids and fighting back. Matt came back and spoke about the societal affects of fatherlessness, including reading a list of the names of all the boys murdered by gangs this year in the UK. It was powerful stuff. Not a dry eye in the place. Last but certainly not least was Jolly, who did not actually get up and speak. I got stuck at the hotel (the parking garaged closed with my car inside!) after I went with Steven Saboda and Jolly to see Harry Potter, so Jolly was kind enough to keep me company over a few beers until 3am. What a beautiful man. I have not often met a man so capable of forgiveness yet so determined to do what was right no matter the cost to himself. Everything he does is for his daughter, because he truly believes it is right for her. Not many people are so selfless. We talked about many things, for hours, both important issues and silly stories, and he now has a special place in my heart. He said he would like to come visit us, and I really hope he was serious. If he reads this... I saw the purple sheep!

Monday after the conference I took my mother to a chemo treatment. Watching her hair fall out while hooked up to the IV was heartbreaking. She has always been such a proud woman, and looking good has always been so important to her. We have had our issues in the past, but now I just pray she can make it through this.

Tuesday Thomas Walsh and I met in Washington DC to visit Barack Obama's office. I had prepared a packet of info and a letter to him about father's issues . He is the only canidate actively talking about fatherhood, and I believe him to be one of the few upstanding and honest canidates. I hope he responds, as it would be a pleasant change to vote for someone, rather than against the other. His staff was very nice, but we did not think to make an appointment, next time we will do so. I am a registered Republican, but I would back Obama if he shows any sign of taking us seriously.

Stupid me, I bought my 'once every 3 years' pair of dress shoes ($10 at 80% off!) and they gave me blisters the size of Rhode Island! Tom and I took a cab back to the car they were so bad! Why does being girly have to hurt so much? No wonder I wear barn boots half the year! I am so much happier being a tom boy!

Thomas and I then went kayaking on the Potomic by Georgetown. What a gorgeous place. Oh, and I have created another kayak convert! So relaxing, just floating around, Thomas was hooked after 30 seconds. We saw a Great Blue Heron, and even though I see them often up north, there was something about seeing it on a river amidst the city that made it special. We also got about 10 feet from a sleeping duck on shore before it woke up and grumpily waddled off.


I am finally home tonight, we were at a friends all week so Tom could go to a day camp for kids-I am not leaving for at least a week (its been three weeks we have been gone!) My poor garden is full of weeds, I missed the peas entirely, and my bees need a new queen. Seems like everything here falls apart when I leave!

No comments: