Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Green Salad with the extras

Ok, I guess this is what the blog is for, to just write what is going on. I just had several clients leave, a golden and yellow lab puppies, and a Brittany. Typical me, the golden puppy is the perfect dog, obeys, is calm, gentle, and restrained, but boring. I love the lab, a little pistol! I tried to talk her into flyball, but I don't think the owners are sports people. And the Brittany is coming out of her shell, she is starting to offer behaviors which two weeks ago she was scared to try. It is very rewarding seeing the dogs blossom.

Dave is off at school, so I am bored! I suppose I should train my dogs, the little rips, but I am tired now and just want to veg.

I started rereading Who Stole Feminism by Christina Hoff-Sommers. She questions the idea of a patriarchy, that men are out there just to hold women down. She notes that the women who claim to be as oppressed as slaves, as bound as arab women, and as abused by the system as rape victims, are all white, upper class, college educated, tenured professors at prominant universities. Pretty much the safest, most pampered, successful women in the country. Yet they are sent into waves of panic by a whistle on the street. I would have to ask, as a woman who has every choice, every option I wish to take, what am I supposed to be afraid of? Who is oppressing me? And I also have to ask, if I as a masculist feel safe and secure, happy, proud of who I am and what I stand for, and undeterred by criticism, but as a feminist I would feel oppressed, scared and victimized, why on earth would I pick the latter? I think it is all a matter of how you veiw life. If women today choose to see the world through feminist eyes, they will remain scared victims. If they choose to look at reality, they will see that they have life however they choose to have it.

The reason many do choose to be feminist is that there is a lot of power to be had in victimhood. Sisterhood, solidarity, political or emotional pep rallies are all social benifits. Guilting the men and society in general into getting more and more perks are another benefit. When is the last time you saw a pep rally for men to thump their chests and yell "three cheers for the patriarchy! Hip Hip Horray!" Yet every day there are take back the night rallies, or patriarchy slams, or monologues, or public forums, or women's studies classes. Everyday women are banding together getting emotional highs from being victims. As much as feminists claim there is a patriarchy, I have yet to hear of a meeting. More and more any chance of men meeting alone is even more improbable, as women seem highly offended at the thought of men having men only space.

As much power as victimhood brings, I cannot do what is wrong just to get perks. I do not believe in relative morality. We are not more special, or more natural, or better than men. It is time we stop trying to be, and just start being women, the opposite sex of men, no better or worse.

No comments: