Saturday, May 28, 2005

Quick and Sleazy Italian

This one is a made up dish that is never the same twice in a row. All measurements are approximate, as I don't really measure all the time!

Put a large pot of water to boil. Take about a third of a cup of good olive oil in a skillet, and add 2-6 cloves crushed garlic, 1/2 tsp basil, 1/4 tsp oregano, salt and pepper. Saute on medium until garlic is starting to brown, and remove from heat. When water is boiling, add 4 servings worth of pasta, and cook to package directions. When done, drain (don't shake every ounce of water off the pasta, just let it fall off) and put in a big bowl. Pour the oil over the top, smother in parmasan, and serve.

If you want to get creative, you can add in some or all of the following to the oil after the garlic:
Dried whole chilis
black olives
sun dried tomatoes
capers
artichoke hearts, canned or cooked
garbanzo beans
shrimp
scallops
good hot italian sausage
veggies like fresh green beans, broccoli florets, red peppers

Just saute all the other ingredients with the garlic & oil until everything is cooked the way you like it. If you have any other ideas, please post them.

Last night I went to a bachelorette party for a new friend of mine. My old friend (who is in the party) and I went into Spencers gifts, the novelty shop, for some stuff to dress up the bride to be in. Oh my! Some of the stuff in there was just too much! There was a pinata shaped like, well, a guy part, and the clerk had a mechanical chihuaha humping his leg when he asked us if we needed help! I had no idea they could sell that stuff at the mall.

Everyone met and we went to a Thai place, which was awesome, if you have never had a Thai iced tea you are missing out. Spicy black tea with heavy cream, yum! I had squid in coconut milk, lemon grass and red curry, very good.

We then went to an adult bookstore next which made Spencers look like church. We each bought the bride to be several small novelty gifts and wandered around learning just how many ways there is to duplicate the female anatomy, and how many things I have never tried in my life! I think my favorite was the swing, which looked like an adult sized velvet Johnny jumper! I found a blow-up sheep with the same name as the bride, and she blew it up in the parking lot and carried it for the rest of the night.

We then went out dancing, which was stupid of me to do because of my ankle. I was doing fine until 'Irene' came on, you know that 80's song, where the video had everyone in a irish village dancing around? Then of course I had to dance, and I just love to dance, so....I am icing it tonight. I played pool, danced my head off, drank too much, got home around 1, to bed by 2.

Today we went to see a play with the kids "Wayside School" based on the books. What riot! They were a young group and had to use several people for more than one character, but it was extremely well done. The kids loved it, except for when the Tango teacher walked up into the audience and wrapped her boa around my 14 year old, insanely shy son's neck! I thought he was going to melt into the floor!

Anyways, I had all these thoughts on what to write tonight, but I suddenly changed my mind. Impromptue, just like my cooking!

One of the women who came to the bachelorette party is someone I disliked. She and her husband rub me the wrong way (he gives me the creeps too). I was dreading the whole thing, but know we needed to do this, and since I really like the bride( and my best friend is in the party) I wanted to go. Well, this woman was fine all night. I really enjoyed her company, even though she is the same one who is toxic to all who know her. She was on good behavior, and in doing so was bright, funny, and had good ideas.

My husband at the same time went hiking with her husband, and everyone else who was going was nervous that the husband was out of shape and couldn't do it, but insisted on coming anyways. And while he did not manage the whole day, he did do one peak with little complaining, and well enough that my husband was impressed at his tenacity.

Now I have learned to push away toxic people in my life. If people cause me stress, I cannot trust them, or they lead me towards bad places, I tend to cut them out of my life. I had to do this. But now I am at a point where I don't allow people like that to effect me so deeply. I can take what there is positive from these people and hold the rest at arm's length.

My question is, are these people put there for a reason, and is cutting them out completely going agianst the geater plan? Can you learn from people and enjoy their company while holding them at arms length so as not to get burned? Or is it not worth it? Is life to short to waste it on people who always end up hurting you or those you love.
***
I went to a dog camp a few years ago, where I was teaching frisbee. The dance instructor within 10 minutes of meeting me said something so insulting that the only thing I could think to say was "ouch". I didn't say another word to her for the rest of the night. The next morning she apologized to me (because of how I handled the night before), and even though she was horrible to others, she was great to me, and I learned so much from her. Is this someone I want to hold close to me? No way. Is this someone who had a lot to teach me? Yes.
***
So, how do you accept people as they are without letting their bad traits effect you? Are you using people by sharing their company for your own pleasure or education? Or if you treat it like a normal friendship with caution, are you giving back enough to make it equal?

My greatest failing is that I am critical. I try so hard not to be, but I am. So is this an issue of me being too critical, or is this a self protection issue, or what?

I swear, life is just so complicated sometimes.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The sleazy Italian was great. I was really hungry. Glad you're enjoying your weekend.

Jen Kuhn said...

Cool, you tried it? So what did you add in?

Anonymous said...

Dried chilis
black olives
tomatoes
onions
good hot italian sausage
broccoli
red peppers
green peppers

Jen Kuhn said...

mmm, now you are making ME hungry!

Did you have a good memorial day?